Monday, May 21, 2012

SpringCon and Gaming Sketches

Well, now that opera season is over, convention time is here!  We've kicked off convention season with a good start at SpringCon, where I was drawing caricatures and custom sketches pretty much nonstop.  Not a bad way to spend a Saturday!  I got to hang with some of my favorite artist people, too, including my good friend Mark Stegbauer who inked this piece I did for the charity auction.  (Pardon the low quality of the images in this post, I was using my iPod Touch camera, which is not terrible but not the best, either.  My scanner is still not on speaking terms with my laptop.) 


Aside from that, I did a few chibi sketch cards, some of which I even managed to photograph before they were whisked away!



I was, unfortunately, unable to photograph all of the art I did that day, especially the caricatures, as people were crowding around the table and waiting for their turns.  Not that I'm complaining!  I was quite happy to be so busy, though I was grateful to my lovely friend Theo for bringing me a sandwich at lunch.

Saturday was my only day at the convention, because Sunday was reserved for spending time with my friends from out of town.  I hadn't seen them for nearly two years, as they'd moved out of state while I was in Korea, so it was wonderful to see them both again.  Another friend of ours ran an epic Marvel game for us, using heroes we'd created in a game we'd played years ago.  It was such satisfying fun to get the old group back together, both in and out of character!  I had to commemorate the occasion with more art, of course-- just because I wasn't drawing at SpringCon didn't mean I got to slack off!

Our fantastic cast:  Mystique-- she was a sort of special guest appearance, played by another friend who had not been part of the previous game.  She did a wonderful job portraying the character and really tying in with the plot our GM was running as a one-shot game. 


Yuki-- My albino "bioelectric ninja", codenamed "Negavolt" for his abilities to nullify mutant powers and create electrical blasts.  This is probably my favorite drawing I've done of this character to date, and I've had some version of Yuki for around 13 years!


Kyle-- codenamed "God Mode", my boyfriend's character, a computer/gaming nerd with powers of light, illusion, and hypnosis.  His signature move is to distract people with naked lady illusions, then blind them with searing light.  "Shut up, Kyle!" is a common catch phrase in our games.


Carrie-- codenamed "Snap Dragon", a teleporting, psychic-blasting, fairy-dragon girl, and our group's de facto leader.  She sort of accidentally killed a hippie with crazy memory bubble powers, and now she can't teleport without looking like something out of Yellow Submarine.


Sally and Mark--  Sally, aka "Miss Monster" is a 10-foot-tall bright pink wolverine, who used to be a little girl.  She may have accidentally eaten her parents (something she, thankfully, does not remember).  That poor green muppet she's cuddling is Mark, aka "Gremlin", who can possess and animate inanimate objects.  He has a bandage on his chest from a wound that, weirdly, has never healed...  Mark is actually Carrie's boyfriend, but Sally likes hugs.

So, that's what I did all weekend. 

-Maria





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcome!